“They’re amazeballs.” -Jaen Sycamore
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ultrafine white sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ~1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 generous tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- ~1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ~1/2 tsp ground cloves
- ~1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- ~1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- a dash of ground nutmeg
* Substitute other flours at will – I’ve made these gluten-free, as well as with a mix of all-purpose wheat with arrowroot,oat and sorghum.
- Cream together sugars and butter until smooth and fluffy (a few minutes).
- Sift together flour(s), baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, set aside for later.
- Add egg, molasses, ginger and spices to sugar-butter mixture, beat until well mixed and fluffy (a few minutes).
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture, blend thoroughly until no white flour is visible, and perhaps a smidge longer.
- Refrigerate dough for at least one hour, preferably until it’s all cool and set.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Form dough into 1-1/2″ balls, roll in raw/turbinado sugar, place on cookie sheet(s) with the usual cookie clearance.
- Bake for ~15 minutes, cool on a rack.
Yields approximately three and a half dozen cookies.