- 1lb ground sausage (sweet or mild italian works well)
- ~1lb chicken breast, cubed raw (poached and shredded is fine too, just introduce it with the peppers instead of with the sausage)
- 1 sweet onion, diced small
- 1-2 bell peppers (I prefer a green and a bright color), chopped
- 1 ~15oz can of stewed, diced, or crushed tomatoes
- ~2 cups brown rice, with water added as specified on bag (approx 1.5-2c water to 1c rice)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, creole seasoning, red chile powder, cayenne to taste
- olive oil
- Saute onion in oil in a largeish stockpot or dutch oven.
- Add crumbled sausage and raw chicken, cook and stir over medium heat until browned or just barely cooked through.
- Add bell peppers and tomatoes, stir and let cook for a few minutes. (Add chicken here if it’s already cooked.)
- Add spices to taste.
- Add rice and water, stir and allow to boil, then reduce heat to simmer until rice is cooked through, approx an hour, hour and a half.
- Adjust spices to taste.
Yields approximately 3-4 quarts of awesome.